- Strength to weight ratio. Aluminum is typically not as strong as steel, but it is also almost one third of the weight. This is the main reason why aircraft are made from Aluminum.
- Corrosion. Stainless steel is made up of iron, chromium, nickel, manganese and copper. The chromium is added as an agent to provide corrosion resistance. Also, because it is non-porous the resistance to corrosion is increased. Aluminum has a high oxidation and corrosion resistance mainly due to its passivation layer. When aluminum is oxidized, its surface will turn white and will sometimes pit. In some extreme acidic or base environments, Aluminum may corrode rapidly with catastrophic results.
- Thermal Conductivity. Aluminum has a much better thermal conductivity (conductor of heat) than stainless steel. One of the main reasons it is used for car radiators and air conditioning units.
- Cost. Aluminum is typically cheaper than stainless steel.
- Workability. Aluminum is fairly soft and easier to cut and form. Due to its resistance to wear and abrasion, Stainless can be difficult to work with. Stainless steels are harder and are especially harder to form than aluminum.
- Welding. Stainless is relatively easy to weld, while Aluminum can be difficult.
- Thermal properties. Stainless can be used at much higher temperatures than Aluminum which can become very soft above about 400 degrees.
- Electrical Conductivity. Stainless steel is a really poor conductor compared to most metals. Aluminum is a very good conductor of electricity. Due to its high conductance, light weight, and corrosion resistance, high-voltage overhead power lines are generally made of aluminum.
- Strength. Stainless steel is stronger than Aluminum (provided weight is not a consideration).
- Effect on Foods. Stainless steel is less reactive with foods. Aluminum can react to foods which may affect color and flavor.
Still not sure which metal is right for you? Phone, email or visit one of our 70+ locations for expert metal advice. Our customer Service Representatives will help you make the right choice!
Metal Supermarkets carries dozens of aluminum shapes such as flat sheet, plate and round bar in grades such as 6061, 2024, 3003, 6063, 7075 and more. Visit, call or email one of our 70+ stores for more information.
Buy stainless steel
Metal Supermarkets carries dozens of stainless steel shapes such as round bar, rectangular bar and angle in various grades such as 303, 304, 316 and more. Visit, call or email one of our 70+ stores for more information.
Metal Supermarkets – Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, Hot-Rolled, Cold-Rolled, Alloy, Carbon, Galvanized, Brass, Bronze, Copper
Over 80 locations in North America offering instant access to a wide variety of metal types, shapes, sizes and grades.Find your closest store